Sending an Email: What You Should Know
There are some general rules when sending out an email to a list of prospects. The Federal Trade Commission along with the CAN-SPAM Act requires businesses that send out emails to comply to certain rules and regulations. These rules were drafter together to help protect email recipients. We've put together a check-list of these standard rules to help companies easily adhere to these regulations. Here is our quick check-list to use prior to sending any commercial email.
- Include both an HTML and text versions of your email(s)
- Be consistent with sending frequency
- Include an unsubscribe option
- Most importantly, remove recipients who unsubscribe from your list right away
- Send emails to seed accounts to test deliverability
- Maintain a consistent ‘From’ company name and physical address
- Avoid spam words like FREE, fast cash and Act now!
- Remove old and inactive subscribers from your list.
- Prompt/ask email recipiants to add you to their address book
Content & Creative
- Use a subject line that is not misleading; it should have relevance to the content
- Use pre-header text to support your subject line
- Use small paragraphs, bullets and bold lettering
- Use ‘alt tags’ for images for email clients who do not automatically load images
- Make sure your email is mobile friendly and responsive -- because many emails are read via mobile device
- Avoid using too many images – we recommend 80% text and 20% image
- Ensure your email is CAN-SPAM compliant – include physical address, unsubscribe link and clear ‘From’ address.
Ready to create your businesses email marketing campaign? Contact emailUSA.com today and fill out our contact form.